Continuing from my last health article on healthy food choices, I wanted to write about a common ingredient in our household and it is salt! Salt is known to be the most abundant and the important natural resource in the world. Something you would not want to miss in your meals because most of the food would taste unexciting and bland without it. Made of two chemical elements Sodium and Chloride, the salt plays an important role in the normal life of an average person. Salt naturally forms in the ocean, but it is also mined on the land from the mines.
However, salt goes way ahead of just the taste as there are different types of salts with unique properties and distinct benefits for your kitchen and home. Salts work in favor of responsive nerves and control the electrical impulses. Apart from taste and health, there are many ways people like to use salt to improve their live
- Removing stains and odors
- Brightening the laundry
- Preserving food
- To prolong plant life
- Ease out the sort throat
- De-icing driveways and sidewalks
- Acts as a great mouth wash (an alternative to using listerine)
You all must have noticed that salts come in different sizes, shapes, and color. Contradictory to the common belief, not all the commercial salts are same. There are different variety ranging in the taste delivery, texture, and mineral content. In this article, we will highlight the most commonly used salts.
Refined Table Salt
One of the most common types of salt in tabletops and kitchen cabinets is refined table salt. The salt was originally produced from evaporated sea water or salt mines and is characterized by the bleached and fine texture. Whenever you read the word refined, remember that it has been processed which means it has been modified from its original form. Table salt consists of dietary iodine that is important for many health benefits.
Benefits Of Table Salt:
- Full of essential electrolytes
- Maintains hydration and alkaline/acid equilibrium
- Helps the proper functioning of nervous system
- Chloride maintains the normal physiological activities
Harmful Effects Of Table Salts
- Unhealthy for people with kidney problems
- Increases blood pressure
- Not recommended for people with hypertension
- Can be a reason for cardiovascular diseases and strokes
Sea water is evaporated to get the sea salt and is mostly used by people who have a deficiency of iron, potassium and zinc in their body. The texture of the sea salt is rough and the flakes are bigger in comparison to the normal salt. The sea salt is used by people togged rid of acne and various other skin related problems.
Benefits Of Sea Salt:
- Good For Healthy Skin (tips to fight dry skin)
- Helps in inducing sleep
- Prevents hair loss, muscle cramps and reduces acidity
- Helps in treating rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, osteoarthritis, etc.
Harmful Effects Sea Salt
- Presence of pollutants
- Traces of heavy metals like lead and mercury
- High dosage can put up your blood pressure leading to heart failure and stroke
Kosher salt, also known as rock salt, is a type of edible salt with a large grain size made from the salt crystals. This was used originally by the jewish people to take the blood out of the surface of the consumable meat. The coarse texture of the salt makes it perfect element for koshering the meat. Though the table salt and kosher salt are derived from the salt mines or through evaporation of the seas water but they both cannot be taken as same. The difference in both is that the kosher salt is not iodized which makes it a perfect ant-caking agent.
Benefits Of Kosher Salt
- Kosher salt has no additives or preservatives
- Preserves the blood vessels and reduces the chances of heart attacks
- Brings out natural flavour and also decreases the over all cooking time
- Helps in regulating muscle contractions with the help of calcium and minerals
Harmful Effects Of Kosher Salt
– Lack of iodine may lead to thyroid problems
The Himalayan salt which is considered to be the purest from of salt, is derived from the Himalayan ranges. This salt was formed after the deposits of million years of marine fossils and is derived from old sea beds found in certain geographical regions around the world. This salt was used by natives of the Himalayas to keep their meat preserved and was also bartered for various other commodities in return. Presently the Himalayan salt is used for cooking, bathing, and air purification purpose.
Benefits Of The Himalayan Salt
- Improves the blood circulation and prevents Goitre
- Improves the functioning of the respiratory system
- Strengthens the bones and give aids to metabolism functioning
- Helps in increasing hydration and balances the pH to reduce the acid flux in the body
Harmful Effects Of Himalayan Salt
- Presence of Lead and Aluminium which may cause lethal toxicity
- Excessive intake leads to heart diseases, high blood pressure, and water retention
When we talk about selecting a healthy salt for your diet, do not get mistaken with the price. It is always better to use unprocessed salt over refined one because of the lower sodium content and higher essential minerals. Choose a suitable salt that fulfils your needs and promotes a healthy lifestyle.