One of the most common skin conditions is dry skin. Anyone can get it, and while it may be a mild, temporary condition at the first glance, it can become more severe over the long term long-term if it isn’t cured or prevented.
Most common symptoms of dry skin include skin tightness and physical discomfort. If it becomes a long-term problem, it can even produce blotchy patches on your skin, leave visible scars and age your skin much faster. Skin wrinkles might even get produced because of prolonged exposure to this condition.
There are only simple measures that need to be taken if you get dry and rough skin. It can be medicated quickly as long as it is attended as soon as possible. Simple actions that can prevent it include not using irritating fabrics or by using skin products which includes lead that using a lotion that can bring back your skin moisture.
While dry skin can be harmless at first glance, it can evolve into something more agitating if not attended for a long while. Here are some fool-proof tips that can help cure you improve your skin’s dryness:
- Colder Baths and Faster Showers – If you already have dry and rough skin, you need to take some time off when you use hot showers. Hot showers can only worsen your condition because it would continue to take out the moisture of your skin. You should also limit your time in the shower because longer shower durations can irritate your skin.
- Maintaining Good Skin Care Routine – Having a dry skin can make your skin feels rough and aged. To solve this problem, you need to make sure that you use skincare products ingredients will not harm your skin. Please read the ingredients carefully to make sure you are not allergic to any of it. Using such products would be able to return your skin’s moisture levels to normal after a few days of use. You should also make sure that you don’t limit your skincare routine to your body. Give similar care and attention to your face so that it won’t have dry patches of skin.
- Use of Unscented Products – When you choose your skincare products, try to purchase products that are unscented. Scented products contain too much chemicals, and it would not be able to help your dry skin. In fact, it may worsen your skin condition.
- Use Moisturizers Regularly – For people who don’t have drier skin, it’s not necessary to use moisturizers more than one time daily. But for individuals who experience having dry skin, it would be better if you use moisturizers at timed intervals. After a few hours, apply moisturizers so that it can regulate your skin moisture. Make sure that you also use moisturizers when you feel your skin tightening or when you feel like your skin is irritated.
- Stay Warm, But Not Too Warm – Increasing your body warmth can improve your skin condition. When your skin is warm enough to create moisture, it won’t dry out. But even as you stay warm, make sure that you don’t take the brunt of the heat. It’s not only low temperatures that are harmful to your skin – high temperatures are also responsible for drying out your skin.
- Meet A Dermatologist – In case you get severe dry skin conditions where lotions or creams are not helping, it may be the time for you to meet a dermatologist before your skin takes on further damage. Ask for a skin check-up from your dermatologist and follow through with the treatments and the medications that will be provided to you. Severe skin condition needs specialized treatment, depending on the severity.
Prevention Of Dry-Skin
As the famous saying goes, prevention is better than cure. Since relieving it would need medications and procedures before it can be fully healed or momentarily stopped, preventing dry skin would be able to save you from the hassles that come with medicating your condition.
Here are the most common causes of the skin condition and tips to prevent them:
- Cold Weather – When the weather turns cold, and the temperature drops, the humidity level of your location also falls. Because there is minimal moisture in the air, chances of drying your skin are increased because your skin would be parched. To prevent this situation, turn up your heater or cover yourself in a blanket to keep yourself warm and the air around you humid.
- Heated Showers – If you like using hot water whenever you bathe, there is a greater chance for you to making your skin worse. Hot water may let you feel refreshed, but it also dries out your skin in the process. If you really like taking hot baths, then you should make sure that you can alternate warm and hot water. Aside from that, make sure that you don’t stay too long in hot showers.
- Loss of Skin Moisture – If you are the type to change hurriedly into your clothes after you bath, it may be time to change that habit. If you don’t lock in the moisture that your skin got from your bath, it would eventually turn dry. After taking a shower, make sure that you use a lotion that can lock the moistures to your skin so that you can prevent it from getting dry.
- Skin Aging – There is no cure for skin aging, there is only prevention. If you don’t want to let your skin get parched by the time you reach an older age, then it is the time to maximize your utilities so that you can minimize skin aging. To prevent your skin from aging badly, make sure that you start every morning with an appropriate skin care. Use face and body creams after you wash up so that moisture would continuously be locked into your skin. Using products that have alpha-hydroxy acids and retinol can help you decrease the chances of dry skin in the long run.
- Skin Allergies And Irritants – To prevent yourself from getting dry patches of skin, make sure that the clothing that you wear does not have any materials that can irritate your skin. Wear clothing with fabrics and products that make your skin feel comfortable.
- Eat Healthy Vegetables – There are some research that shows the benefits of vegetables along with fruits to our skin. Eating green leafy vegetables especially organic or growing your own is the best way to have beautiful skin.
- HowStuffWorks.com – Dry Skin Remedy tips article.
- BattleEczema.com – Eczema Cure website – Tips on caring for skin and also has great product reviews.
- Youtube – Phan – Video on Dry Facial Skin Remedy from Michelle.